What is a Lawyer’s Work Environment Like?

What is a Lawyer’s Work Environment Like?

• Add Comments
  • Add to Favorites

Lawyers do most of their work in offices, law libraries, and courtrooms. They sometimes meet in clients’ homes or places of business and, when necessary, in hospitals or prisons. They may travel to attend meetings, gather evidence, and appear before courts, legislative bodies, and other authorities. They also may face particularly heavy pressure when a case is being tried. Preparation for court includes understanding the latest laws and judicial decisions.

Salaried lawyers usually have structured work schedules. Lawyers who are in private practice or those who work for large firms may work irregular hours, including weekends, while conducting research, conferring with clients, or preparing briefs during nonoffice hours. Lawyers often work long hours; of those who work full time, about 33 percent work 50 or more hours per week.

8 Comments to “What is a Lawyer’s Work Environment Like?”

1. mike says:

I work in an office in a PI firm. Most of the day, I fill out forms. Granted, they are fancy legal forms, but they are still forms. I have to change a few words. I have to review voluminous records, including medical records, page by page. Sometimes, I get to read poorly written cases. Generally, my job is to push the case along as hard as possible, where the system is designed to not allow any progress. Thankfully, tasks that normal people could accomplish in days/weeks the legal profession is capable of resolving in years.

2. Miles Bates says:

WORK ENVIROMENT OF LAWYERS: Lawyers held about 728,200 jobs in 2010. A majority of lawyers work in private or corporate legal offices. Some are employed in local, state and federal governments. About 22 percent of lawyers were self-employed in 2010.

The following industries employed the most lawyers in 2010:

Legal services 51%
    Government 18
    Finance and insurance 3
    Management of companies and enterprises 2

Lawyers work mostly in offices. However, some travel to attend meetings with clients at various locations, such as homes, hospitals, or prisons. Some lawyers gather evidence; others appear before courts. Lawyers who represent clients in courts may face heavy pressure during trials.

Work Schedules
    The majority of lawyers work full time, and many work long hours. Lawyers who are in private practice or those who work in large firms often work long hours conducting research and preparing or reviewing documents.

3. moshposh says:

I really would like to be a lawyer this web page helped a lot.

4. AHANNAH says:

I have always wanted to be a lawyer. This really opened my eyes. Thank you!

5. nate says:

is the lawyer driving or being hit by the car?

6. Jakayla Williams says:

I have always wanted to be a criminal defense lawyer/attorney. I’m very sure that one day I will become the best lawyer in centuries.

7. starutterfly love lawter assistant says:

being a lawyer involves more than just cases, but also organization! I believe that if you want to be a lawyer fulfill your dream because you can accomplish it. GO LAWYERS!!!!